New Study Shows Us How Gay And Straight Men Masturbate Differently

Gay And Straight Men Masturbate Differently

Did you know that there’s a Masturbation May?

Apparently, May is the month to get your rocks off. To honor and celebrate this alliterative adult anniversary, adult toy brand TENGA released the results of a survey they led.

TENGA’s online survey, which was conducted with the help of pollsters PSB, asked 13,000 men and women, aged 18-74, from 18 different countries (including the US, the UK, Japan, India, Germany, Australia, Russia, and more) questions about their sexual practices.

This survey was conducted between February and March of this year (2018) and was able to find many differences between gay/bisexual people and straight people. For instance, gay/bi people typically started masturbating around age 13, while straight respondents averaged at 15.

If you think those numbers sound suspicious, you have to take into account the fact that men and women are being roped into both gay/bi and straight categories. On top of that, many people have different sexual experiences.

More: 5 Tips For Having an EXPLOSIVE Anal Orgasm!

If you’re wondering what the other results were for the survey, you can check them out below.

  • On average, globally, 78% of people masturbate. This figure tends to be higher for men than women. For example, in the UK, 96% of men said they masturbated compared to 78% of women.
  • Globally, gay and bisexual individuals are 23 percent more likely to masturbate weekly than heterosexual individuals.
  • Those who identify as gay or bisexual are also more likely to have tried masturbation. For example, in the UK, 97% of gay/lesbian and bisexual respondents said they had tried masturbation, compared to 86% of heterosexual respondents.
  • On average, adults reported that they began masturbating when they were around 15 years old. However, this was 13 years olds for gay and bisexual respondents.
  • Where’s the most popular place to masturbate? Seventy-nine per cent say they choose to masturbate in their bedroom, while 15% prefer the shower. Less frequent responses included ‘in the Jacuzzi’, ‘in the office’ or just ‘outside’.
  • The top three reasons given for masturbation are: To achieve pleasure; to relieve sexual tensions; and to de-stress. Other reasons included: To aid sleep, boredom, to help improve sexual performance, to explore their bodies and desires, or because their partner is uninterested or unavailable.

man orgasm face eyes

More: New Survey Shares The Average Age When Gay Men Lose Their Virginity

The respondents didn’t just talk about their sexual habits though. They also talked about their thoughts on the world’s views on sexuality and the sexual habits of others.

  • Fifty percent of global respondents felt society would benefit from discussing sexuality and masturbation more openly. Gay and bisexual people are significantly more likely to have talked about masturbation with a friend or significant other: In the UK, 71% of gay/bi people talked about it with someone else, compared to just 42% of heterosexual people.
  • 72% of gay and bisexual individuals believe society would benefit if people were more open in discussing sexual topics like masturbation compared with only 44% of heterosexuals.
  • Masturbation is something many find difficult to talk about: 30% of respondents said they had lied about masturbation in the past. In the US, 55% said they never talked about masturbation.
  • Women are more likely than men to entertain the idea of buying a sex toy. For example, only 46% of UK men are open to buying a sex toy compared to 59% of UK women.
  • Wondering if you masturbate too much? In the UK, 45% of those aged 18-34 said they masturbate weekly, and out of those, the average was 4.6 times a week. The remaining 55% were either a few times a month or year or less. Moving up an age bracket, 41% of those aged 35-54 masturbated weekly, knocking out an average 4.1 times a week. In the 55+ age bracket, just over one in four said they masturbated weekly – and those who did so managed it around three times a week.

Again, you can read the full survey here.

h/t: GayStarNews